Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sonny...

my black Lab passed away this week. He lived 13 years which is a long life for a dog I guess. It doesn't seem that long to me right now though.

He was a good soul... smartest dog I ever spent any time with and most people who saw him in action marveled at his abilities. He used pool toys as tools to retrieve balls and other objects out of the pool at our house. Let me repeat that...he used tools. I always thought that was something amazing.

He was very disciplined in that he would not pass thru a doorway or over a curb without permission...I think that was most impressive to friends visiting our house that did not know Sonny..because he would stand at an open door without entering the usual chaos inside...so many people would remark that Sonny would not cross that threshold and found it incredible.

He once jumped into our pool that contained no water at the time when the concrete was being redone....into the deep end after a tennis ball. Funny thing is that while he was a great swimmer and enjoyed doing it, he rarely actually jumped into the pool after balls and whatnot....he'd go down the stairs and ease it in to the water and then swim after whatever was needing retrieving....yet he jumped into an empty pool that one time...maybe a special tennis ball or something...weird.

He was so great with kids...you could trust him with all children 100%. I'm pretty sure needles in his eyes would not have provoked this dog. Every single person who met this dog loved this dog. Even people who were not "dog people" were enamored of Sonny because his attributes were so endearing...he was a big strong guy but such a sweetheart that all who met him had a positive and memorable experience.

I think my fondest memory with Sonny was hiking with him in the snow on a old logging trail in Big Bear, CA. He loved running in the snow....hauling ass way out in front and then running back just as quick to make sure I hadn't gone missing or left him behind. Now he has left me behind in a way and the missing will be of a different kind.

Sonny (the Lab) 10/05/95-10/12/08




Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: